Re: pfinet

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 01:19:00PM -0500, Robert Giovannucci wrote:
> I recently cvs downloaded the gnumach and hurd sources to try to learn more
> about the hurd. I built and installed gnumach without any trouble. When I build
> and install the hurd, pfinet doesn't work. I get a translator died message
> whenever I try to access the network interface (ping, telnet...). How would I go
> about debugging this? Is there some way for me to turn on debugging? (I am at
> work now and can't check to see if pfinet has a debug switch).

The first thing to check are the translator settings. A simple typo can ruin
everything. So please send us the output of

showtrans /servers/socket/2

another thing to try is to start it up as an active translator and see what
the error message is. Add the -a option at the beginning to settrans when
setting up the socket.

> Is there some way to get gnumach or hurd to dump the device tree? It would be
> useful to see what hardware the system recognizes.

No, sorry. Use a combination of guessing, devprobe, the output of strings
gnumach and looking at the source. Also of course, recognized ethernet
devices are printed at boot time.