Login shell (was: Small Bug)

On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 01:01:19AM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> (BTW, it is possible to turn the login shell into a login prompt. Then all
> this does not apply of course).

Great, that's the piece of information I was waiting for! Actually I do not
know any reason, why the login-shell was introduced at all! Why would you
allow any non-logged in user to execute any command but "login"? Any user
who has an account can simply log in and do whatever he wants to do
afterwards, and people who do not have accounts should not be allowed to do
anything! In case you really need anonymous access, you can simply introduce
a "guest" account on your machine, just as it is done on many Linux machines
already.

Also: having a real shell running makes playing around with the machine much
more interesting! If you are sitting on a machine with just a login prompt,
it get very boring to just try one username/password pair after the other.
On a prompt, you get at least the impression that there might be some other
intelligent way to crack the system.

For that reason, my suggestion would be, to drop the whole idea about the
login shell, and by that drop all the effort about the fourth permission set!
(Just think how long it will take, until all the tools are modified to
support that feature!)

Ciao,
Nobbi

--