Re: "Small" Bug

Hello!

I do not understand this discussion. Perhaps someone could help me. It
is a long establish practice with linux and other unices not to tell
users who want to login, if there username is valid or not or if the
password is wrong. The advantage of this method is, that a user cannot
guess longin-names by simply trying out different names.

The HURD tells you, if the username is wright or wrong. It does not
use the Linux-mechanism.

So can someone please tell me, what is the advantage of telling a
user, that the login is wrong and not simply telling a user, that the
login or the password is wrong?

I think there is no advantage in telling a user, that the login is
wrong. But there may be a disadvantage in telling the user, that his
login is wrong and not only telling the user, that his login-name or
his password is wrong. So perhaps someone could tell me why the
traditional linux und unix method of loggin in is changed in the HURD
when there is obviously no advantage but there may be a disadvantage.

Michi