Package questions

Well, after a few months of lurking on the various hurd mailling lists, I
finally got up the gumption to actually install the Hurd.  I hedged my
bets, and managed to get it running in a VMware sandbox, which is likely
where it will stay, until such time as I have a free machine (or get that
486 running again...)

I installed from the latest tarball on alpha.gnu.org, booted from floppy,
successfully ran native-install, created a user account, became
unnervingly frustrated with emacs, and discovered that nice things like vi
and telnet didnt' seem to exist.  I take it that these niceties have to be
downloaded from the debian package ftp sites?

is there a list that someone may have put together of what needs to be
installed yet to actually do something usefull with a Hurd system? (I
consider things like telnet, the berkeley r-commands, and vi or vim to be
necessary. =)

Also, I've seen it mentioned in passing here on the lists, but why,
exactly, is /usr symlinked to the current directory?  it seems like a
patently bad idea to have "/usr -> ."; shouldnt' it be "/usr -> /"?  And
why not have a /usr, anyway?  Perhaps it's just my years of having
"normal" unix systems to grow up in, but I find this quite odd.

Also, the concept of a "not-yet-logged-in" user shell is somewhat
disconcerting to me; any user can cat /etc/passwd without even logging in!

If these questions have already been answered elsewhere, please just point
me in the right direction.

Thanks!

--
Gregory Ade <gkade@bigbrother.net>