Re: Installing Debian/Hurd

>> From: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>

>> >  So...
>> >  Here's a stupid question.
>> >  Where, or which, collection of source do I need, where do I get it ?
>>
>> You need gnumach from www.gnu.org/software/devel and whatever driver you are
>> going to try (fro www.kernel.org for example).

 Ok. I'll do that next.

>> >  Are we talking about simply re-compiling a kernel ?
>>
>> Not really, although you can try that first, too, just enabling the driver you
>> are going to need (the default kernel conains lots of scsi drivers).
>>
>> If this won't work, you can try updating the driver you need by copying
>> the file from linux to gnumach and compile again.

 We'll play with several approaches, probably, to derive as much info
 as possible.

>> >  My understanding was ( perhaps in error ) that as a micro-kernel, these
>> >  things are external processes ?
>>
>> The hardware drivers are currently in the kernel.

 Ah....
 A slight misunderstanding on my part.
 That helps.

>> >  Next, this same box works and has worked under linux kernels starting
>> >  with a buzz release and 2.0.6 kernel to the current debian 2.1 and a
>> >  2.2.11 kernel using autoload modules for the scsi.
>> >

>> Can you tell me again which scsi controller you have?

 Advansys. 1.something.
 As I mentioned, I'm about 600 miles from that machine, and don't
 remember exactly.
 I did transcribe the error, and post that the other day, so it should be
 both in my sent file as well as on the archive, but I'm not finding it
 in my sent file. That posting included the card ID as reported by
 the kernel boot process.
 As I recall ( which could be in error ) the card itself reports itself as
 Advansys 1.5 during the BIOS checks, Linux reports it as Advansys 1.0
 and the Hurd boot reported Advansys 3.?

 I have two of these cards, from different vendors.
 The Jaz Jet card is an AdvanSys with the Ultra SCSI II feature.
 The SIIG is an AdvanSys without Ultra, but with a low-level format
 function not in the other.
 When I do get back home ( around the 19th or so ) I'll look at both,
 and swap them to see if the Hurd AdvanSys driver works on the
 other card.

>> >  I'll admit to being very new and inexperienced in dealing with the hurd,
>> >  and not so familiar with linux deep internals, but I'm afraid "controller"
>> >  to me means the scsi BIOS on the card. Do I mis-understand ?
>>
>> No, the chipset on your scsi controller. You have a controller and one or
>> several scsi media drives (hard disk, cdrom etc). Now, what is your controller.
>> For example, Adaptec 2940-UW and WD7000 are controller (or, to be more specific
>> sometimes one driver works for all controllers that use the same chipset).

 OK. That's kinda what I thought, sorta.
 That would be the AdvanSys PCI SCSI controller card.

>> >  I do have the advantage of enough redundancy to be able to try about
>> >  anything, no matter how disasterous ( including destroy a monitor or video
>> >  card, but not to the point of smoking a motherboard ) and am willing to do
>> >  so ( whence I get back home ) if it'll help.
>>
>> No life in danger here :)

 There is much incinerated hardware in my past.

 Folks ask me...
 "Curt, how'ed you get so good ?"
 and I tell 'em...
 "Good Judgement."
 then they'll ask...
 "How'ed you get that ?"
 and I tell 'em..
 "Experience."
 then they'll ask...
 "How'ed you get that ?"
 and I tell 'em...
 " POOR judgement !"

 Regardless, I know that I have some advantages others lack,
 perhaps more money than brains :-)
 In any case, it's still fun, and cheap education by comparison.
 ( and this project has my interest, largely due to my becoming
 dis-illusioned with the direction I preceive Linux is going,
 following the Microsoft model of lack of back-ward compatibility,
 and features before fixes )

--
Cowboy

When a fly lands on the ceiling, does it do a half roll or a half loop?