Re: i want to help ! how ?

On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 03:37:47PM -0500, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Igor Khavkine <i_khavki@alcor.concordia.ca> writes:
>
> > > I have checked in my very vestigial work, hurd/trans/pump.c.  It is
> > > not anywhere near finished, but I'm happy to explain it detail if some
> > > says "yes, please explain."
>
> Well, I was on drugs.  pump.c is the DHCP client.  I can explain how
> it works, but it's not the ppp idea at all.  Sorry for the
> confusion.  I have no special ideas about ppp should work; basically
> have pppd set up the connection and then hand off a port to pfinet to
> deal.  pfinet needs to have the multiple interface code merged and so
> forth, and then also have the ppp support turned on (it came from
> Linux, so it is basically there).

Well, that's what I was asking about. Maybe a better idea would be to make
pfinet support a general tunneling interface that gives control of the
underlying protocol to a userspace daemon like ppp, slip, plip or whatever
else one can run in userspace. Or another idea would be to setup each
interface as a translator somewhere under /servers/socket/2/. Does this sound
totally crazy? I'm just trying to think of a way to support multiple interface
types without adding too much code to pfinet, so that if there is a new type
of interface that appears it doesn't have to be rewritten.

Igor