Re: New user install report

On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 09:09:41AM +1000, Jason Henry Parker wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 07:02:39AM +1000, Jason Henry Parker wrote:
> > >  * I needed to remove modules/gconv from the list of optional packages
> > >    to install in cross-install;
> > Well, cross-install was indeed badly out of date, I will upload a new
> > version in a few minutes. Sorry for any inconvenience.
>
> No problem; with all my false starts I had to expect some hiccups.
> I only wanted to be sure others wouldn't have to sweat the load like
> I did.  :)

Well, the idea was to lower the users expectations, so they wouldn't
get too disappointed when they discovered some other bug :)

> > No, configuring base-files creates the directory. This is the reason why
> > there are actually two runs of dpkg --configure --pending.
>
> Perhaps it would be easier for cross-install to run a topological
> sort on the packages installed, and write that to a script read by
> native-install?

There are two reasons why this is not feasible:
The base packages are essential, and don't declare dependancies among
each other. This means there is no automated way to get it right.
Then, it is not worth the trouble, as running dpkg --configure --pending
several times works just fine, as long as everything else works.
The list would have to be updated manually everytime something changes.

I will check how the Linux installation solves this problem, if
they keep a hardcoded list somewhere or do it the cross-install way.