Fdisk doesn't work

Why doesn't FDISK read any partitions?  I have tried specifying Mach devices
such as hd0, hd0s1, and Linux devices like hda, hda1, etc.

If I specify fdisk -l /dev/hd0 I get the following:

read:  Invalid argument

fdisk: read error on /dev/hd0 - cannot read sector 0
/dev/hd0: unrecognized partition
No partitions found

If I specify fdisk -l /dev/hd0s1 I get slightly different messages:

fdisk: ERROR: sector 0 does not have an msdos signature
/dev/hd0s1: unrecognized partition
No partitions found

Using fdisk -s to report the partition size appears to work fine, although
the -uM flag has no effect.

I have not been able to find updates to FDISK in the debian packages.  Is
there another Hurd-compatible disk utility that will report drive/partition
information, or do I need to wait for a working FDISK?