Re: hurd install

From: Igor Khavkine <i_khavki@alcor.concordia.ca>
To: James Gibson <jgibson62@hotmail.com>
CC: debian-hurd@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: hurd install
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 11:12:40 -0500

On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 09:25:51PM -0800, James Gibson wrote:
> I was about to write in and report this same problem. This is installing on
> a fresh partition with a brand-new set of .debs.
>
> James
>
> >On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 11:07:27PM -0500, Ali Ijaz Sheikh wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I was trying to install hurd on my system. The problem I get is when the
> > > system tries to run the servers.boot file. I get:
> > >
> > > Hurd server bootstrap: ext2fs.static[hd0s9] execext2fs.static
> > > ../../libdiskfs/boot-start.c:416 diskfs_execboot_fsys-startup:
> >Unexpected
> > > error: No such file or directory.
> > >
> > > Could any one give me a pointer, about what this is about?

You might want to check if cross-install created the directory /servers and in it a file (usually of size 0) called `exec'. This is the place where the exec
server is attached during bootup. If you add it manually your system might
boot properly,

Thanks for your help. I did what you recommended: created /servers/exec-- and fsck-ed the hurd partition. The Hurd started up fine in single-user mode, except for the puzzling problem of having to repeat every keystroke, which running native-install and rebooting solved, of course.

Now I have the Hurd running on my Pentium, I'm ready to try to boot on my 486.

James

however I suggest that you redo the installation with
cross-install and make sure that you have the latest version of the scripts
from http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd.

Igor