Hurd and Mach syscalls

Hello,
	The design of Hurd is interesting, but I want to ask a few
questions: they may sound outright silly.
	Could anyone tell me if Hurd has its own syscalls (POSIX type), or
does it use the syscalls provided by the Mach4 microkernel. Also tell me
if Hurd will continue to run on top of Mach4, or will it run
independantly, like Linux. Since it is running on Mach4 (and presumably in
the future also), I presume all of the Hurd maintainers write essentially
Mach4 code using Mach4 syscalls, to run what is known as the Hurd OS which
is really only a set of Mach4 programs.

Thanks,

Ashutosh S. Rajekar
Pune Institute of Computer Technology,