Re: booting problem

Hi All,

I get the same exact results that Tim is getting when trying to boot
the HURD.  My setup is very similar to his:

AIC7895 w/ 9G drive
sd0s1: Linux Root
sd0s2: Linux /usr
sd0s3: Hurd (990 MB)
sd0s4: Linux Swap

I, however, have no Sound card installed nor do I have a
network card currently installed; All that is physically in
the machine is a Video Card, cdrom and hard drive. To install
the HURD, I used the tar ball from 10/25.

I initially thought that the problem might lie in the COM ports
as the last message that I was got which, was the
exact same message that Tim received, was:

com0: at atbus0, port = 3f8, spl = 6, pic = 4. (DOS COM1)
com1: at atbus1, port = 2f8, spl = 6, pic = 3. (DOS COM2)

I proceeded to disable the two com ports in the bios and then
the parallel port for good measure.  Mach did not detect
them as it should not have, yet it was still crashing; This time
on the line preceding the aforementioned ones:

Partition Check: ....

Having read that another had had problems with his AIC2970
SCSI card, I thought that that might be the problem.  Luckily,
I had a spare IDE drive around and I tossed that into my machine.
I then disabled the on board SCSI via the BIOS and installed
the tar-ball onto that drive.  Again, I had no luck.

After a bit more thinking, I came up with the idea to use the
latest debian packages, as the tar-ball was now over two months old.
I did this, wiping the partition before starting.

The same problem.  I Quite lost now.  I figured it must be something
stupid; that seems to be the cause of most of my bugs, so, why not
here.  On that note, I ignored the rules for determining the root
parameter for the kernel option: ie kernel /boot/gnumach.gz root=... -s
I then booted and an amazing thing happened: I got by the point where
I had been previously hanging, or I at least got more text on the screen!
Now, it said:

Root device `...' does not exist!
Root device name? [...]
Server boot script? [...]

Finally, another clue! Something new.  Putting in the root device
that I had been entering before (ie on the failed attempts) yielded
the exact same failure: The machine was totally frozen it did not
even respond to the good old three fingered salute!

I am now quite stuck.  Any advice that you have would be greatly
appreciated!

-Neal