Re: Random idea:

Hello Adam Sampson!

 On Thu, 30 December 1999 at 01:27:27, you wrote:

 > foo.xbm		->	image/xbm
 > foo.xbm.gz	->	encode/gzip:image/xbm
 > foo.xbm.bz2.uu	->	encode/uu:encode/bzip2:image/xbm

See "http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/magic-numbers/"; - seems like
this could be done somehow - somewhere in their mailing list
archive I read about 'secondary magic signatures' or some such
thing.

 > I see no reason to put this into kernelspace (hmm, serverspace?).

Exactly - and the whole system would benefit - no matter where
your files live.

 > The Acorn RiscOS, [...] (Yes, I think it's weird too.)

Weird indeed.

 > On a different tack, why couldn't #! execution look at the user's
 > path?

Well - that's why it's called the interpreter hack I guess -
after all - it is not a clean solution to have the path hardcoded
into a script - it's a cheap hack.

/bye
Dirk