Re: Random idea:

Hello Marcus Brinkmann!

 On Thu, 30 December 1999 at 15:35:31, you wrote:

 > If every user can start her own exec server with the features she wants,
 > it's not a core OS component anymore.

That's the trick - users may replace them but I still would regard
them as 'essentials'. (Of course - one may choose to do without
those components for whetever reason.)

 > It probably wouldn't be the system default anyway, but the whole
 > purpose of the Hurd is to make the default core OS unimportant to
 > the users.

Of course. However, I still think it's better to do file type
identification from within some normal library function. If
someone prefers his file systems to carry that burden he will
be free to do so. ;-)

/bye
Dirk