Re: Two questions

On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 09:59:51AM -0500, Bill White wrote:
> 1.) What is the init regime on a Hurd system?  Is it like SysV, or is there
>     a system.rc file which I am missing?  I am trying to get the ssh daemon
>     to start up at boot time, but it doesn't.  I put the startup script
>     in /etc/init.d, and used update-rc.d to put it into the appropriate
>     /etc/rc?.d directories, but no soap.  Perhaps it's crashing before
>     I can get into it to look at it, but it doesn't seem like it.

Ultimatively Thomas wanted a make'ish init setup, I think.

Roland already answered the status quo, but let me add that the sysvinit
author/maintainer didn't like my Hurd setup of the package and sent me back
to split sysvinit into sysv and initscripts. A move I had not the time to do
from the stuff I managed to prepare. [1]

However, you can find my old try in my alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian or
contrib/marcus, I think. I can also give you my newer version.

But you can also simply add the call to ssh to /libexec/rc for now.

[1] if you want to help with this you must be a master in Debian packaging,
especially complex dependency issues to get a smooth upgrade on a linux
system.