Two questions

I know I've asked these before, but the answers have fumbled out of my
sieve-like brain.

1.) What is the init regime on a Hurd system?  Is it like SysV, or is there
    a system.rc file which I am missing?  I am trying to get the ssh daemon
    to start up at boot time, but it doesn't.  I put the startup script
    in /etc/init.d, and used update-rc.d to put it into the appropriate
    /etc/rc?.d directories, but no soap.  Perhaps it's crashing before
    I can get into it to look at it, but it doesn't seem like it.
2.) There is some way of fetching those packages on the debian ftp
    server which have been updated since the last time I installed?
    I seem to remember there is some option to dpkg to do roughly what
    apt-get upgrade does, but I don't recall what it is.  I would prefer
    to fetch the .deb files actually, just so that I can do a full
    reinstall without fetching anything through my slow 56K modem.

Thanks.