Re: HURD info

rijn <rduca@casema.net> writes:

> I am a newbie, subscribed yesterday and see for the first time
> information about the GNOME/HURD OS.

I suppose you mean GNU/Hurd.  GNOME is the application suite
running on X11, and there have been problems getting X to run on
GNU/Hurd at all.

> 1)	Is HURD working for SMP  (2 Intel Pentiums 200)?

No.  There is some SMP support in GNUmach, but that hasn't been
tested for a long time and I've read it doesn't even compile any
more.  I don't think anyone is trying to fix it.

Yesterday, Roland McGrath announced OSKit-Mach: a GNUmach variant
which uses OSKit device drivers.  I don't know if those drivers
make any difference in SMP support, and it certainly isn't for
newbies.  But take a look if you're interested.  His message was
<199911260550.AAA25118@frob.com> on bug-hurd.

> 2)	Can I still using Loadlin and initrd.img or something

GNU/Hurd requires a bootloader which supports the Multiboot
standard.  I believe GRUB is the only one right now.  But you
could have both GRUB and Loadlin in the same computer.

> 3)	Building a monolite kernel without problems using a SCSI system

I don't understand.  Mach is supposed to be a microkernel.