Re: teTeX on HURD (Was: My Hurd speaks PostScript)

Chris wrote that he had built tetex from the 1.0.6 version for the
HURD. I too had built tetex-bin, tetex-lib and tetex-dev for the
HURD. Marcus said we should exchange notes on this. So here goes...

 > > It has a script called klibtool that pre-dates libtool.  I intend to
 > > change it so that it calls libtool.
 >
 > That's a good idea. Only the very latest libtool has the correct info for
 > the Hurd.

I didn't incorporate libtool since:
	(a) I wanted to do the build with minimal changes.
		(sheer laziness ...)
        (b) The klibtool script said it was a modification of the
   	    libtool scripts so I didn't want to go into those modifs.

But I suppose I should have tried.

 > > xlib-dev and libpng; but though these were installed it still made its
 > > own version.
 >
 > It made its own xlib? Are you sure?

The build depends on libpng-dev and zlibg1-dev and xlib6g-dev. I got the
former two from the debian-hurd archive and the last one from
alpha.gnu.org.

 > > There is also a call to a command line getopt.

I don't recall any problem here. Where is this call? In debian/rules?
Or perhaps it is a call in "libtool" which I did not use.

 > The klibtool/libtool issue is definitely worth investigation. Kapil,
 > did your build produce the same sonames as a Linux build? That's important.

The library produced is libkpathsea.so.3.3.1 in both cases (linux and
hurd). Is there a more complete way of checking? In any case I will
investigate the possiblity of using klibtool.

As far as I recall, the build completes without errors. The
installation of tetex-extra invokes the difficulty with "double
ungetc" commented on earlier in this list.

Regards,

Kapil.
--
Always use PGP for privacy; finger -l kapil@imsc.ernet.in for my Public Key.