Re: gnumach with gcc-2.95.1 or newer

   From: "Weil, Stefan 3732 EPE-24" <Stefan.Weil@de.heidelberg.com>
   Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 17:03:57 +0100

   Hello,

   a week ago, I tried to build gnumach with the gcc-2.95.1 compiler.
   There is a lot of Linux derived code (inline assembly statements)
   in gnumach which is incompatible with gcc-2.95.1. The compiler
   will fail at nearly every __asm__ statement.

   Obviously, the gnumach code was derived from Linux kernel-2.0.x
   or earlier, because Linux kernel-2.2.x has different code which
   works with gcc-2.95.1 (and older compilers!).

   So, one day the gnumach Linux code will need the same changes.
   Are there any plans for this job? Or has someone already started
   with it? Or are there no plans for Debian to upgrade to gcc-2.95.x?

Yes this is indeed something that has to be fixed.  As far as I know
nobody has done anything, so feel free to hack away at it yourself.
If you do, please notify this list and bug-hurd@gnu.org such that
nobody else starts working on it independently.

By the way, there is also Linux code in the Hurd itself (in pfinet to
be specific) which probably needs some work too.

   As far as I saw, some timing functions for very short times were
   improved in kernel-2.2.x. They are in the same source files which
   must be updated for the new compiler. Because I suspect timing problems
   in  gnumach (see my earlier mails), I am very much interested in
   any improvements here.

Sorry, I don't think I can be of any help here.

Mark