Re: A few other problems

On Sun, Nov 07, 1999 at 02:53:37PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann was heard to say:
> > I know the top-level (generic
> > microkernel vs. macrokernel) and the low-level (different commands,
> > from the quickstart guides), but not the in-between (ie, what is a
> > stranslator?  what can it do?  why do I use socket/2 when I set up the
> > network?  what is socket/2?)
>
> Well, the translator concept is one of the tihngs that are underdocumented,
> but it is at least covered by some stuff. Please try the Debian GNU/Hurd pages
> at http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd, especially ...hurd/hurd-doc-translator
> in this case.

  The translator documentation that you pointed to is a nice overview from a
user's point of view, but I have (so far) been unable to work out how to
actually *write* a translator.  (I also haven't had time for a month
or two to try..)  Would it be possible for someone (preferably someone who
knows something about this topic ;-) ) to write some quick documentation on
how to write a very simple translator?  A "hello, world!" type of program,
for example, would be very useful; perhaps a tiny translator that just prints
the above message when 'cat'ed, or shows a file containing "Hello, world!"
when "ls"'ed?

  I'd try typing something up, but aside from the problem of not knowing when
I'll have time, there's a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation here..

  Daniel

--
We are Debian of Borg.  You will be packaged.  Resistance is futile.