Re: A few other problems

On Sat, Nov 06, 1999 at 04:34:38PM -0600, John Goerzen was heard to say:
> 1) People that telnet to the box can go around and cat files (even
> /etc/passwd!) without even logging in.

  Eek!  My Hurd installation is too out-of-date to check, but I'd guess that the
permissions are messed up.  The Hurd has a fourth set of permissions for people
who haven't logged in yet; this should probably be set to --- for just about
everything on the system in a normal setup.

> 2) df doesn't work, saying:
>
> df: cannot read table of mounted filesystems

  Known bug -- I don't remember whether it's in df or the Hurd, though.

> 3) there is no proc

  proc is a mostly undocumented feature of the Linux kernel ;-)  I suppose
someone could write a proc server for the Hurd, but no-one has..

  Daniel

--
  A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.