Trying to build the Hurd

I an trying to learn about the Hurd.  One day, I would like to help with
the testing and development.

I have got a tar ball and installed various packages to get a
development system.  I can build packages from source, such as bash and
make.

I though I had enough to build the Hurd itself so I got the source from
CVS.  I run
dpkg-buildpackage  -uc  -B   and all the binaries build,  at least I
think so.  It fails trying to build the documentation, and wants package
tetex.  The problem is that tetex depends on dpkg-perl,  and I cannot
find this anywhere in the Package index, or in the binary directories. I
have built TeX on several UNIX boxes so may try this next.

Could you please advice me on the best way to complete the build.  Also,
once it is complete,  what is the Debian/Hurd way to install what I have
built.  Can I just tar my hurd partition, in Debian,  so as to recover
it later;  return to the Hurd and do a make install in the build
directory.

Many thanks

Chris Lingard