From: Marcus Brinkmann [mailto:Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de]
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 1999 4:03 PM
To: Weil, Stefan 3732 EPE-24
Cc: debian-hurd@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: new tarfile

On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 11:11:40AM +0100, Weil, Stefan 3732 EPE-24 wrote:
> here are my experiences with gnu-19991025.tar.gz.

Great, thanks for letting us know about them.

> With one, the
> keyboard problem occured (shell sees only every second character)
> as you write in the installation script.

Occured it directly after running native-install? Or did you enter some
commands before rebooting, apart from native-install?

> Great: reboot unmounts the root filesystem cleanly, so fsck
> is no longer needed after a reboot.

Yeah, it's wonderful.

> 2. Problems.
> The grub program which is part of gnu-19991025.tar.gz fails.
> Maybe it was linked with the wrong ncurses library?

Almost certainly so. Thanks for letting me know!

> So does
> in.telnetd (not part of the tar file).

Ouch! I STILL didn't recompile inetutils! I am very sorry. I will do it
later today (when I am at home).

> /root/.profile calls mesg which is not in the tar file.
> This is not a big problem, but it might be fixed some day?

Yes, certainly :) [you didn want me to make any promises, did you :)]

mesg is in sysvinit, which is under way. Unfortunately, I have to rework my
extensive patches. In the meantime, get the one at

ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus/sysvinit_2.67-5_hurd-i386.deb

> OSTYPE=linux-gnu. I think somebody else already mentioned this.

In which context? Can you elaborate?

> After saving a file, the editor (called with "editor /etc/hosts")
> says "failed to write ...". I had this message with several files.
> In every case, all my changes were written!

I am not sure. ae is not a great editor anyway. Get vim or jed.
I don't remember if I see the message or not. Care to debug this for us?

Seems you have come a long way Stefan! Have fun,

"The purpose of Free Software is Free Software.
The End and the Means are the same."  -- Craig Sanders

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>