Re: new hurd package and mutt

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 10:58:06PM +0100, Chris Lingard wrote:
> > Perfection Marcus.  Down loaded 19991025.  It is loaded to a 990Mb partition.
> > Set it up with three extra 990Mb partitions that were settransed to /home, /Debs
> > and /Source, and also put the swap space in.  Loaded about 20 binary deb files.
> > Rebooted several times.  No corruptions,  all partitions clean.
>
> Great, thanks for doing all these tests. I can sleep better now, knowing
> that our archives are back in a sane state again. Some people still see
> breakage (Brent for example), but it should be reasonable sane now.
>
> > Got the source for the latest version of bash and build it.  Re booted again,
> > all OK.  It also can see my Zip drive;  what is with this plug and play?
>
> I even see my parport drive here, and you can use mtools to access dos
> partitions!
>
> > Will now do battle to build the hurd.  Thanks earlier advise.  Got autoconf,
> > automake, dpkg stuff and some documentation on Debian.
>
> Fine. Just ask if something is unclear or doesn't work at first try.

Yes I am still struggling.  Ran  dpkg-buildpackage  -uc  -B,  and it identified the
package as hurd, version 19991004.  Ran debian/rules and the aclocal and autoconf
generated a configuration script.  Ran the configuration script, and started make.
There seemed to be an error in serversboot/Makefile as it could not find
boot_script.c,  moved the vpath towards the start of the Makefile and this fixed
this.

The build ran for several hours building about 20 library files.  It then tried to
make serversboot and the link failed.  The error messages were:

/home/cal/hurd/serversboot/load.c:375: undefined reference to `set_regd`
/home/cal/hurd/exec/exec.c:737: undefined reference to `elf_machine_matches_host`
and also check_hashband, ports_create_port,  ports_get_right, ports_port_deref, plus
others

Would appreciate any advice

Chris