Re: Should I continue to study linux-based GNU?

> Hi, I'm Dion E. Viglione, a 1st-year Computer Science major.  My school
> is using the GNU-linux operating system (Red Hat).  I read that HURD
> will replace Unix and Linux, so it a waste of time to study Linux?

Nope, certainly not. Debian GNU/Linux and Debian GNU/Hurd are plenty similar
enough that it's not hard to switch between them; most of the applications
are the same, and knowing how a Unix-style system works will give you a good
head start on how Hurd-based systems work. Hurd is still under development
and isn't totally stable yet, so if you're just starting out in the free
software world, it would probably make more sense to stay with Debian
GNU/Linux for now.

> Should I begin to learn HURD--to get that "head start" on everyone?

Of course, there's no reason why you shouldn't install Hurd on your machine
as well---create a 500Mb partition for it when you do your Debian-2.2
install. (Hurd works under the commercial VMWare emulator too, BTW.)

--

Adam Sampson
azz@gnu.org