Re: Hurd installation problem.

On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 09:26:18AM -0700, Brent Fulgham wrote:
> > Ok, so why does telnetd require ncurses?  I'm not completely sure that
> > telnetd is hanging for this reason, though.
> >
> I am. ;-)
>
> If you look at the telnet source you can see that it makes use
> of ncurses (or whatever the default console code is -- in hurd's case
> on Debian it's ncurses).  It uses this code to control the screen
> display.

Note he wrote telnet*d*, the daemon.

> > How close is the 1015 tarball to the most recent collection
> > of .deb files?
> It is up to date with the 1004 series of Hurd base packages (Marcus,
> please correct me if I am wrong).

Yes. All packages are up to date.

> > Is it necessary to install the .deb files at all, or can I
> > just untar the 1015 tarball and run with that?
> No, yes.  The tarball contains the base system, and should have
> everything you need to get a bare system.  You then need to install
> the various *.deb files for non-critical stuff like a decent editor,
> development tools, etc.  I am not sure (but suspect) that the tarball
> contains an old set of telnet utilities.

No. The telnet in recent tar files should be recent.

I am not sure what is causing the problem. Maybe the pfinet server is not
set up correctly.

"The purpose of Free Software is Free Software.
The End and the Means are the same."  -- Craig Sanders

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>