Re: grub version for potato freeze

From: Matthias Berse <matthias.berse@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
Subject: Re: grub version for potato freeze
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 01:28:53 +0200

> package is pretty much srewed up. I dit a dpkg-buildpackage of grub from
> source (0.5.92 form alpha) and found that the info files aren't being
> compressed.

  In GNU, info files need not to be compressed, so if you install GRUB
in the standard procedure, info files will not be compressed and
that's fine. In the debian package, I think the info files will be
compressed as far as I see the current postinst under the directory
debian.

> The info database isn't updated, too.

  I think this is already fixed. See the Debian bug tracking system.

> Also a minor problem is the README.debian pointing to the wrong
> directory of the binary, which reside in
> /usr/share/grub/($arch) instead of /usr/lib/grub/($arch) as stated in
> the readme.

  In GNU, the GRUB images will be installed into
/usr/local/share/grub/i386-pc by default, and, in Debian, into
/lib/grub/i386-pc; This problem is due to the fact that GNU's policy
is always not compatible with Debian's policy. I discussed it with
Gordon, but the inconsistency has not been solved yet.

> I think grub is a really great bootloader, but documentation is _really_
> importent, so better get this fixed...

  Yeah, I know (thanks to Erich). I would be very glad if you could
help us.

OKUJI Yoshinori  <okuji@kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp>           ^o-o^
http://duff.kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~okuji (in English)     m /