RE: GNU/Hurd newbie

> >But the Hurd is not XFree compatible :)
> >
> >We are working on it, but please bear with our slowness. It
> is trickier than
> >it seems. All prior successes to get it running were hacks,
> and we want to
> >do it proper now.
 etc are available and run.

> Is this strictly true?  I was under the impression that you could run
> X applications, but you could not run an X server.  That is, you could
> have your development system running an X server with Linux, and your
> test system running xterms or xemacs on the Hurd.

The client-side software works just fine under the Hurd.  If you check
our archive you will see Tk, Python-Tk, and other things that work.

In fact, that is how I have my system set up.  I can telnet to my
Hurd box from Linux and use gvim to edit multiple files at the
same time, etc.

The server "works", but is a hack.  Work is underway to make a more
permanent fix that will allow X to run properly under the Hurd.

-Brent