Re: PowerPC or SMP support?

   Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 15:19:32 -0500
   From: Troy Benjegerdes <troybenj@scl.ameslab.gov>

   I have two questions:

   Has anyone tried building hurd on top of either the MkLinux osfMach
   kernel, or the Mach kernel in Darwin on a PowerMac?

I have done some work to make the Hurd running on top of OSF Mach on
the ix86.  I didn't have the time to finish it yet.  There are some
differences between OSF Mach and GNU Mach, but I think it might be possible
to port the Hurd to  OSF Mach on the PowerPC with some effert.

The Mach kernel in Darwin is based on Mach 2.5, which is pretty old
and probably lacks a lot of functionality that the Hurd depends on.

   And second, is there any working SMP support in HURD?

The Hurd itself is almost entirely multithreaded.  However, the SMP
support in GNU Mach is not working at the moment.  I'm not aware that
any of the developers owns a SMP machine, so I don't think there will
be working SMP support in the near future.  If the SMP support in OSF
Mach is in a better shape, the Hurd would probably be able to take
advantage of it.

Mark