Re: settrans

On Mon, 06 Sep 1999 14:45:31 EDT, the world broke into rejoicing as
Michael Bacarella <mbac@nyct.net>  said:
> > What is settrans ? I've seen in the easy guide that is used to mount
> > devices and set up network; but which is it's real utility ?
> > Why don't have a mount command ?
> A fundamental concept of the Hurd is something known as translators. These
> are usually Hurd servers that are hung off of filesystem nodes.
> Hurd servers could basically do anything, some of which implement
> filesystems like ext2 and ufs. When you mount a filesystem, you
> essentially attach the ext2fs translator to a mount point, and telling the
> translator which partition to use.
> The mount command is currently a script which calls settrans with
> the proper arguements based on the command line supplied.
> According to the TODO list, a binary mount is desired.

Is there a decent set of documentation on settrans out there?

I've been trying to get a Hurd instance to speak to my network; it
has not been terribly successful thus far, and I think what I'm not
properly understanding is settrans.
"Unfortunately, because the wicked sorcerers of Silikonn' Vahlli hated
freedom, they devised clever signs and wonders to achieve the mighty
Captive User Interface, also known as the Prison for Idiot Minds."
-- Michael Peck <mjpeck@nstar.net>
cbbrowne@hex.net- <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>