Re: it doesn't work

Guido Casiraghi <czk@iol.it> writes:

> i've downloaded and installed debian gnu/hurd onto debian 2.1.
> after running cross-install i've tried to boot it. it didn't work:
>
> Hurd server bootstrap: ext2fs.static [hd0s8] execext2fs.static:
> ../../libdiskfs/boot-start.c:416: diskfs_execboot_fsys_startup: Unespected
> error: No such file or directory.
> memory_object_data_request (0x0, 0x0, 0x2000, 0x1000, 0x1) failed, 268435459.

I'd like to jump in here and mention that I had my latest (and first)
attempt at cross-installing HURD from a Debian system fail in just
this manner a week or two ago.  I've since stopped trying; constant
reboots wore me down.

I put the fault down to a dodgy perl .deb---I thought it was a little
small.  Could that be it?  Could a broken perl be responsible for the
hurd's packages not cross-installing correctly?

jason

--
____   Every once in a while, you catch a memory leak,   /"\ ASCII ribbon
\ _/__ realise that the operating system hasn't crashed, \ /   campaign