Re: Lurker's Question

> Why was the decision made to provide such extensive compatibility with
> Linux?  Other than the time factor is there any other reason why
> programs/functionality are being ported from Linux to the Hurd.

I'm not sure what you mean, exactly.  There is great source compatibility
between GNU/Hurd and GNU/Linux because they have GNU libc in common, and
because source compatibility is always a useful thing.

The reason that people have been porting packages "from Linux to the Hurd"
is that most people are working towards a Debian/Hurd system and so
naturally taking the existing set of Debian source packages as a starting
point.