Re: Tale of woes: hard copy

   Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 02:44:57 +0000 (IST)
   From: "Ashutosh S. Rajekar" <asr@giaspna.vsnl.net.in>

   Hello,

   Today I tried to install the Hurd for for the nth time in 2 months. As
   usual, I met with no success, but I have carefully jotted down all the
   details and messages I got.

   [...]

   %%% (serverboot): Running without any paging
   %%% Hurd server bootstrap: ext2fs.static[hd2s1] exec init proc auth
   %%% Single-user environment: /hurd/init: /dev/console: No such file or
   directory
   %%% /hurd/init: Using temporary console /tmp/console
   %%% /hurd/init: Cannot execute /bin/sh: No such file of directory
   %%% init: rebooting Mach (flags 0) ...

       ... and the machine reboots. This was all before running the
   native-install script; unfortunately that stage just didn't arise.

   Main question: Does any immortal have any clue to what is happening ?

Looks like you have not installed a shell.  Does /bin/sh exist on
hd2s1?  It should be a (symbolic) link to /bin/bash!

   I have some questions ..
   1:  Is it necessary for the second IDE HDD to be a a Primary Slave?

I don't think so.  I have an IDE CD-ROM drive as the Secundary master
and that works fine.

   2:  GRUB, Hurd and Mach all use different partition naming styles; could
   we have them use the same naming style, like the Linux style, which
   almost all of us are used to ?)

I believe that GRUB uses different names on purpose.  It uses the BIOS
to access the drives and the BIOS numbering doesn't always match the
numbering that the booted OS uses.

The Hurd simply uses the Mach naming style, which is baed on the way BSD
numbers its partitions, and there are quite a few people that are used to
that.

Mark