Re: NCFTP package

On Mon, Jun 21, 1999 at 10:44:31PM +0000, Ashutosh S. Rajekar was heard to say:
> Hello Marcus,
>
> On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > I use the last Debian source release for most packages, because I have them
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> > on CD. 70-100 USD are enough $$$ to pay for my modem connection.
> >
> 	Does this mean that we can use the .debs distributed with the
> Debian/Linux CD with the Hurd ? I tried that and got a number of conflicts:
> bash-2.02 conflicts with libreadline2 and locales ... (Debian-2.0 binary
> release from CheapBytes).

  It means that you can run 'dpkg-source -x' on the *source packages* and get
a source tree out, then run 'dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -b' and pray that it
compiles :-)

  A few binary packages (data and so on) will work correctly but pretty much
everything that's Arch: i386 (and I believe some things that are Arch: all)
will at best not work on the Hurd -- and at worst break things!  (I can't
remember any examples of breakage from Arch: all packages but I'm pretty
sure there are some)

  Daniel

--
THERE IS NO HOPE BUT US.  THERE IS NO JUSTICE BUT US.  ALL THAT IS, IS OURS.
BUT WE MUST CARE.  FOR IF WE DO NOT CARE, THEN WE DO NOT EXIST...