Re: NFS -- Hurd

tb@MIT.EDU (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:

> Heh.  My best answer is that NFS will only support passive translators
> by extending the protocol, and then it will only do anything if the
> server supports it.

Assume this was some Hurd-specific protocol.  Where would passive
translators then be saved?

When the client sets the passive translator of a file to
"/hurd/ext2fs /dev/hd0s2", the server must not attempt to
activate the translator when the file is accessed.  And if the
translator is set in the server, the client must not run it.
Translators set by the client and the server must somehow be
saved differently.  Is there a Right Way to do this?

I fear this is a situation in which Unix shines by simply not
having passive translators.