Re: Unidentified subject! (X)

On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 04:47:14PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 08:48:20PM -0700, Jake Bishop wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Is X windows working under Hurd?
>
> Please fetch the X packages from:
>
> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/gnu/hurd/debian/
>
> There are debs of XFree86 3.3.3, but only clients and libs. Always set
>
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/X11R6/lib
>
> Correct the variable setting in /bin/X11/xmkmf and gccmakedep. (Remove space
> in `varname= "value"'.
>
> No servers yet. Don't ask to help with the servers if you aren't a Hurd or
> GNU/Mach hacker (or wanna-be :)

Hi Marcus,
This is remarkable that you did not answer the original question:
> > Is X windows working under Hurd?

I took all the packages which I found in alpha.gnu.org .../debian

dpkg -i xbase_*.deb
told that it wants xmp which wants nmh | mh which are not available,
and that it wants rstart(d) which wants netstd which is also not available.
More complaints were about xproxy and xserver-common; are all those things
supposed to be somewhere?

After I did not find xf86config and XF86_XXXX, I got upset and went to

ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/3.3.3.1/binaries/Hurd

and grabbed some things: Xbin.tgz, Xlib.tgz, XVG16.tgz, and XMa64.tgz,
plus preinst.sh and postinst.sh. (I did not install Xlib.tgz which is
presumably older than xlib6g_3.3.3.1-4_hurd-i386.deb, until I saw that
there was nothing to lose.)
xf86config ran alright, and I went to the stage when I can run startx
or something and read the error messages. Here they are:

:   Can not open keyboard (no such file or directory)
:
:   _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't get addres for hurd
:   Giving up

This was with GNUmach-1.1.90/Hurd-0.2 kernel (is it fresh enough?),
with both XF86_VGA16 and XF86_Mach64.

I hoped that you might know whether I am stuck with something
straightforward; what am I to do?

Thank you,
a.

PS. As to the rest of the installation, hurd (untarred gnu-19990505)
runs smoothly on K6-2 300, RAM=64MB, at around 800MB partition, swapping
onto Linux's 128MB swap partition [after I changed the last line in
/boot/servers.boot to

/dev/hd0s5 $(add-raw-paging-file) $(default-pager)

], and I even use emacs (emacs20) to edit things and mount some small
linux partition (~150MB, /dev/hda6) with
settrans /linux /boot/ext2fs /dev/hd0s6
(settrans -g /linux  -- to unmount; this is just a memo for myself).

What's not quite perfect is that hurd complains that its partition
was not smoothly unmounted (no crashes; I only say `reboot'), runs fsck
and throws me to a single mode, and that I should avoid accidental
touching /dev with ls -l and du -s

The only weird thing I needed to do was to untar Poor Man's sysvinit
from sysvinit.tar.gz (posted by Marcus a few days ago), and then to fake
dselect that it was a *.deb-file (adding "install ok installed" things to
/var/lib/dpkg/status file..), so that bsdutils and friends would
install smoothly.

Nice thing; I only wish there'd be pppd or at least minicom..

--
Looking for a Linux-compatible V.90 modem? See
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modems