Re: NIC mishap

On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 08:49:31AM -0400, Michael Bacarella wrote:
> I installed gnumach_1.1.92-2.deb over gnumach_1.1.92-1.deb and on the next
> boot it stopped recognizing my NIC as ne2k (ISA) and is instead listing it
> as a 3cXXX.

Can you be more specific, 3cXXX is a bit too general, IIRC.

The problem i sthat the order of autoprobing seems to be suboptimal. Maybe
the set of included drivers is also suboptimal.

Frankly, as long as we don't have way to load modules at run-time, there is
no easy solution. What we can do is provide a default kernel that at leasts
boots on all system and if you have problems with network cards etc you need
to roll your own.

If you can say to me which 3cxxx is at fault, I may disable it, as I know of
at least one other 3cxxx problem.