Re: kernel-sourcen ?

On Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 08:55:17AM -0700, Brent Fulgham wrote:
> I could be very, very wrong, but I am going to go out on a limb and
> say that the hurd has absolutely nothing to do with those linux-kernel
> sources.  They are most likely links from potato that are mirrored in
> our hurd directories because they are "*-all.deb" style packages that
> are supposed to work for all architectures.  This worked fine when
> ports meant Linux to -alpha, -i386, -mips, etc., but is not working
> out so well for us with our "hurd-i386" architecture.

Right.

> The only proviso here is that we are using some Linux kernel source
> for drivers in the hurd....  But I would advise against downloading
> these sources.

Exactly :) So they are useful to some people, although not many.

> Marcus:  Do we have a way to block out some of these types of
> packages?

NO! That's indeed a serious problem, but NOT for linux kernel sources, but
for harmful packages like base/makedev!!!

There has been a "naive" proposal by me, but Guy Maor wants more detailed
information for this before implemnting it. Then a discussion happened,
which circled around more sophisticated solutions. Those would need probably
more time to implement, but they are really much better.

I am afraid, with the speed busy people like Guy and Ian J. can process
feature wishlist items, we are not going to have a proper solution before
DPKG v2, which should have a proper architecture understanding implemented.
Maybe we can do some adjustements to the arechive (seperation of binary-all
for hurd and linux and common) before.

As long as only very few packages "appear" to be affected, and as long only
a few people realize there actually is a problem, and as long as everyone is
so busy, we will have to live with it.

Of course, I spoke with the makedev maintainer, and he would be willing to
modify the package. But making it binary-arch would be circumventing the
problem without fixing it, and I don't want to do this. Instead, hurd does
currently Conflict with makedev, which prevents damage to the system.

Gordon was working on a proper proposal, too. I would like to have this
proposal or some derived from it be implemented in DPKG v2.