Re: Depends: libc6-dev

On Sat, Jun 05, 1999 at 02:45:30PM +0300, Kalle Olavi Niemitalo wrote:
> Most *-dev packages depend on libc6-dev, which libc0.2-dev
> provides.  Is it supposed to be like this, or should each package
> be changed to depend on libc-dev instead?
>
> In the case of aalib1-dev, the dependency is explicitly in
> debian/control.

Because this is so, and libc6-dev is historically the canonical name, we
don't want to change that. It would require patching dozens of packages, and
the patch would be Hurd specific. That's not good.

As Provides: libc6-dev works just fine, I think we should live with it for
the time being. Maybe at some later time, Debian developers will have a
chance to rename the package to glibc throughtout the distribution.

Note that there is a problem if some package depends on a specific version
of another package. Then Provides doesn't work quite right (see "login" and
passwd/hurd). That's a bug in dpkg, and we can't work around it but
modifying the control field in the package that has the versioned
dependency.