Re: boot floppies [was: an important task]

On Fri, Apr 30, 1999 at 12:47:57AM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > bzip2 decompression, which is a free block-sorting algorithm that
> > yields smaller files than gzip at the expense of some extra time and
> > memory.
> Be careful. Although the time is probably not a matter even for older
> machines, overly memory usage can kill an install on low-memory machines.

Correct. bzip2 is unusable (even for decompression) on small machines, even
under Linux, and it's not exactly pleasant even with 32Mb on a busy system.
If you're installing off CD, gzip compresses plenty well enough.

Linux as an install system sounds like a great idea to me---I did a test
install of Hurd using the tomsrtbt (http://www.toms.net) single-floppy Linux
system. It would be relatively trivial to modify tomsrtbt to work as a Hurd
installer.

--

Adam Sampson
azz@josstix.demon.co.uk