Re: an important task

On Thu, Apr 29, 1999 at 05:04:11PM -0400, Michael Bacarella wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
>
> > I don't know whether anyone is working on this yet or not but...
> >
> > It is pretty important that we make it possible for people to install
> > Debian GNU/Hurd without having to first intall GNU/Linux.
> >
> > Is someone working on this?  Is there a volunteer willing to take it
> > on?
>
> I believe the plan is to compile a base set of the HURD that can be
> installed via  tar zxvfp gnu-xxxxxx.tar.gz  onto an ext2  partition. Once
> the system is expanded onto it, the user can boot the HURD from there
> (with a GRUB floppy) and then use the HURD's native packaging system
> (dpkg) to handle the rest of the installation.

This is the very first step. There is no way around a good set of Debian's
boot floppies for the Hurd. Of course, the work I have put into
cross-install will be directly useful. Indeed, for the first time
cross-install could be embedded into the boot floppies. Focus is probably to
get a tiny Hurd system from boot floppies, AFAIK.