Re: new web pages

On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 09:25:48AM -0600, Gordon Matzigkeit wrote:
> Ole J. Tetlie was kind enough to do the work of applying the layout in
> hurd-noframes to the information in hurdtest.

Thanks Ole! Thanks Matthias, and everyone involved.

> I made a few minor
> changes, and committed the whole batch to CVS.  Here is the result:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd.new/
>
> Please send any comments on these pages to debian-hurd.  As soon as
> people are reasonably happy with the pages, I'll replace the old ones
> with them.

I am (almost) happy with them.

trying-out-hurd.html
==============
     The other choice is to use the actual development packages. This is not
   as painful as it
   sounds, since most of them are more stable than the 0.2 distribution.
   Note that you need a
   running Debain GNU/Linux system to bootstrap from.

This is wrong. You only need Debian GNU/Linux if you cross-install, and even
then you can go with any system as long as you have dpkg. With the tar file,
you only need tar and gzip and extfsprogs (or some ufs prog), which is
available on many platforms.

I suggest to kill the last sentence above w/o replacement.

The page could use a rewording to make people work from
development and not use gnu 0.2 anymore (only if they really want to).

software.html:
==============
     * Some sites carry Japanese information concerning the Hurd:
          + Okuji's site

Okuji's site is in English.

The title "Japanese Stuff" seems inappropriate to me. It should probably be
retitled "Contributions", and open for further, not Japan originated, entries.

hurd-history.html
=================

   As of [Gnusletter, Nov. 1991],
   the Hurd (running on Mach) is GNU's official kernel.

You may want to clarify the difference of a kernel and Hurd, though I am not
sure.

debian-gnu-hurd
===============

It would be nice if Debian GNU Hurd could have an entry in the menu.

Furthermore:

   A list of Debian packages that have ported to the Hurd.

This link should be KILLED. Instead, make a top level entry or somewhere
else very visible a link to www.debian.org/ports/hurd/ (don't forget the
trailing slash), which will be the main entry point for Debian GNU/Hurd
(stress on Debian). I wrote the pages, but couldn't commit them yet.

Please, make the new Debian GNU/Hurd porting page a prominent link on the
web page. I make a prominent link on the Debian page to the Hurd page. Both
sites should be tied together very strong, IMHO.