Re: Comments.

On Sun, 18 Apr 1999, Michael Bacarella wrote:

<Oblist: this is definitly a debian-hurd topic>

> The connection with Debian. While it is probably useful, it is extremely
> alienating, especially to people who don't even run Linux. Not only are
> you expected to have Linux installed, but you have to have this particular
> kind of Linux. The distribution system is only understood by one OS blend.
> You can't even install dpkg on your machine and have the hurd installers
> work. (The best I could do was --extract).

.debs are just ar's of tars (IIRC). At some point, hurd will be
stand-alone wrt to booting. But given that Debian is providing resources
(web spaces, and perhaps most importantly, developers), it makes sense for
installation to be easy for debian developers.

> If the idea here is to harvest interest in the HURD, it won't help to
> alienate people who don't run Debian Linux. I'm very pleased that, yes,
> you can get all of the debian packages to build and run under it, but must
> it be so biased?

I suspect Debian GNU/Hurd will always have a Debian Bias ;). OTOH, dpkg is
a very good packaging system, so I don't see this a problem. We aren't
trying to alienate anyone, but Hurd needs a distribution/packaging system,
so why not use Debian?

Matthew

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo