Re: hurd as a serious project

On Thu, Apr 08, 1999 at 07:24:33PM -0400, Benoit Joly wrote:
> im interested in the hurd project but my feeling is that hurd (not debian/hu
> rd) doesnt have a fast dev cycle... is it right?

Mmmh. What do you mean? The patches are incorporated in CVS and anonymous
access is available, so the changes are quickly available. If you mean that
the development (read: incorporation of features and bug fixing) is not as
fast as we would like it to be, then you are right, but everyone here is
working on it at the pace he can.

> hurd started a long time ago (before linux) but y is it in an early stage like
> this?

There is more behind this then just man power. The Hurd is probably more
complex, and certainly more innovative, and more difficult to debug through
his highly parallelized architecture (I hope I got this right).

And Linux attracted more people faster for whatever reason, too. But the
Hurd is also getting up speed again.

BTW, your seperation of Hurd and Debian GNU/Hurd is not justified, both are
tightly bound together right now.