Unidentified subject!

Hi,

I followed Brinkmann's advice and downloaded the deb packages from
/debian/dists/debian/dists/sid/binary-i386-hurd/base at the ftp site.

In order to run dpkg, I had to create the tree var/lib/dpkg under the
Hurd root partition, and some empty files under it, namely:
available
status
updates/ (an empty directory).

I've installed gnumach, hurd and glibc packages successfully.
However, I get the following message when trying to install
base-files, shellutils and textutils:
dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute new pre-installation script: No such
file or directory

TIA
bye
    Rafael Caetano <rcaetano@linux.ime.usp.br>