Re: Some naive questions

I can only try to answer one. Other please correct me.

On Mon, Sep 14, 1998 at 11:43:24AM -0700, James Gibson wrote:
> 2) Is it worthwhile to try and build a native compiler, or is the
> cross-compiler adequate in most cases?

You need a compiler environment for some more complex packages, because
configure (or the makefiles) need to run a program on the machine, either to
find something out about the installed libraries/processor (size of types
for example) or to generate some files.

Some of these problems can be manually circumvented, but not all.

I'm currently working on bootstrapping a native compiler, you are invited to
join my efforts (currently, there is this nasty _IO_std*_ problems that
result from different glibc versions or so...)

Thank you,