Re: sizes of Hurd on Mach vs. Linux

Gordon Matzigkeit wrote:

> [Steven: The question comes out of discussing the potential for Linux
> gradually to become a microkernel that the Hurd would run on top of.
> If you add it to the FAQ, please give the context so that it doesn't
> come across as a troll.]

Is anyone currently working on this or is it mainly in the form of
discussion?Also, what are the proper forums for discussions on this issue.  FI,
discussion about the Hurd on another micro-kernel go to the bug-hurd@gnu.org,
but that's a general issue for the Hurd.  What about discussions about
converting Linux to a micro-kernel?  To what forums should those questions go.

For the FAQ, I'm add some Q&A about the Hurd running on a micro-kernel other
than Mach from previous postings to the mailing lists.  To address whether or
not Linux could fit such a role, I'm going to take the high road and point
people to the proper places to discuss it.  If someone with significant
knowledge of both the Linux kernel and the Hurd plus State Department-level
diplomatic skills would like to address the question "Could the Hurd run on top
of Linux?" I'll be happy to add that to the FAQ, also.