Re: Dpkg for Hurd

On Thu, Jul 16, 1998 at 05:20:20PM -0400, Thomas Bushnell, n/BSG wrote:

>    From: "Fulgham, Brent/SCO" <BFulgham@CH2M.com>
>    Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 13:31:38 -0600
>
>    > If statements in #!/bin/sh scripts won't work properly till this
>    > is fixed.  && and || will be useless as well.  Installations won't
>    > be reliable, and it will be pure luck (or a lot of manual work) if
>    > you manage to install a working system.
>
>    This is a serious issue.  I think we need some feedback from bug-hurd
>    folks as to whether this is a desirable choice for some reason.  Is this
>    a bug in their implementation of sh or bash?  Or is it imbedded in glibc
>    somewhere?

Please calm down. It seems that the exit status wasn't reached at all. I'm
still trying to isolate some code, but it seems that the bug occurs deep in
ld.so or so. I have no debugging symbols there, I think (at least gdb
doesn't tell me what's happening). Why does it fail silently? Can I provoke
a diagnostic error message?

> I'm not entirely sure I understand.  I know for certain that autoconf
> tests work just fine, and they rely on exit statuses.

Yes, they work fine. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the exit()
command at all.

> I wasn't privy to the previous discussion before Brent's mail; can
> someone mail to bug-hurd a simple test case?

I'm still working on it. Please give me a bit more time (I have not much
time today).