Re: B1000 color STI console problem

Hi Max,

On Saturday 21 July 2007, Max Zelenov wrote:
> I am trying to boot B1000 into Debian installer using the full install
> 4.0r0 CD.
>
> It is getting along fine until it does the "Console: switching to colour
> STI console 160x64"
>
> After that the first 10 or so symbols of every subsequent line of output
> are displayed in a garbled version on the very far right of the screen.
>
> The graphics card as indentified by both IODC and PALO is "GRAPHICS (2)
> 10/6/2/0 PCI_GRAFFITIDX1280"
>
> The boot command is
>
> "0/vmlinux64 root=dev/ram initrd=0/ramdisk ramdisk_size=12580
> console=tty0 sti=10/6/2/0 sti_font=VGA8x16 TERM=linux"
>
> The last lines that I see on the screen are:
>
> "STI GSC/PCI core graphics driver Version 0.9a"
>
> "STI PCI graphic ROM found at fffffffff7000000 (64kb), fb at
> fffffffffa000000 (32mb)"
>
> "id 2d08c0a7-9a02587, conforms to spec  rev. 8.0a"
>
> "graphics card name: PCI_GRAFFITIDX1280"
>
> "sticon: initializing STI text console"
>
> "Console: switching to colour STI console 160x64"
>

> And that is the last line I see.

This looks very similiar to the problem I see on my Precisionbook laptop and the "double buffering" mode of the graphics card seems to be the reason for this problem.

Could you check in PDC (the PARISC-BIOS), if you find an option which mentions "Double Buffering", "DOUBLE" or something similiar?
If you find it, please try to disable this option before booting into Linux.

Helge