Re: help needed on installing Debian 4.0 on A180C

On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 01:04:38AM +0200, Angelo Machils wrote:

> On 16-jul-2007, at 20:24, Grant Grundler wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 08:44:49AM +0200, Angelo Machils wrote:
>>> I'm sorry to say so, but apparently it *is* possible. uname -r gives
>>> me a 2.4.xxxxx kernel as response. I did do an install of 3.0r4 and
>>> *then* a dist-upgrade to 4.0rx, perhaps that is the reason.
>>
>> It is. AFAICT, parisc will not replace the kernel in any sort of upgrade.
>> You have to modify palo.conf by hand to point at the new kernel and
>> run "palo" manually.
>
> Ahhhh okay, I understand :) Well, the fact that I have to modify the file.
> But that would mean that there should already be a new kernel somewhere on
> the /boot partition?! Which is just not (yet) included in the conf file?

yes, there should be - assuming /boot was created and mounted properly.
If not, hunt for the right linux-image (32-bit UP) and install it.

>> BTW, for now, do not use 2.6.18 SMP kernels. I believe fixes went into
>> 2.6.22 that help make parisc SMP stable again.
>
> Would SMP kernels be even installed on a A180C, which is not a
> multi-processing box?!

probably not. But this is going to a mailing list...warning is for others too.

> My sources.list now is:
> debian1:/etc/apt# more sources.list
>
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official hppa DVD Binary-3
> 20070407-
> 19:19]/ unstable contrib main

Ok. I just find it odd that "unstable" is used for etch DVD builds.
Normally I would expect to see "stable" or "testing" (for prerelease) there.

hth,
grant