Re: help needed on installing Debian 4.0 on A180C

On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 09:25:32AM +0200, Angelo Machils wrote:
>> I suspect an HPMC (High Priority Machine Check) when some driver gets
>> loaded and it pokes around where it shouldn't. I'm not sure how to
>> avoid this offhand but expect some "expert mode" would allow one
>> to mount the DVD (it's SCSI I assume) from shell prompt.
>
> But isn't the DVD already mounted, since it booted from this same disc
> and the install programm already started from this?!?!

No. The BIOS (PDC) was able to read the boot loader, kernel, and ramdisk
from the DVD to get things started. The debian installer now needs to
mount the DVD in order to load more packages and ultimately install them.

>> Yeah, that's fine. Just "apt-get dist-upgrade" after appropriately
>> editing the /etc/apt/sources.list file.
>
> Can you point me to the correct contents or an example sources file?

"correct" is relative to geography and which release you want to run.
Most of my boxen have:
deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb-src http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib

> I already edited the sources file (I have experience with Ubuntu) and
> tried it with the 3 DVD's and it seems to go okay and seems complete
> (after 3 or 4 tries) but what I find strange is that the kernel is
> still a 2.4 one while I expected a 2.6.

hrm...I was expecting 2.6 as well. Not sure what's up with that.

> Hmmm, that's too bad it can't be a boot device, this was the reason I
> wanted to get this IDE/SATA card working, since I have only one 4Gb.
> SCSI drive in each of the 3 systems and they are pretty old by now
> (and used pretty intensive) and I can't find spares.
> But if it helps the HPPA linux project I'm willing to spend some time on it
> :)

It would help linux in general since parisc typically exposes driver bugs.
(Write posting and DMA API violations typically)

> Is it possible to put a PCI graphics card and perhaps a PCI USB card
> in the systems and use them as a graphical console instead of the
> text-oriented seriel console? Perhaps even to install X?? :)

A180 doesn't support gfx console.
PA-RISC workstations support gfx consoles.

You can install a gfx card and once the system is up, run X11 on it.
But only in 8-bit color if using a HP gfx card.
See the FAQ on www.parisc-linux.org for more general info on PCI gfx cards.

cheers,
grant